Friday, June 26, 2015

Undefeated Thurman rejects Floyd Mayweather's suggestion of a fight with Errol Spence Jr.


Keith Thurman: I want Mayweather next, not his protégé


From David Martinez in Combat




Keith Thurman has rejected the recent proposal of taking on his fellow undefeated American, Errol Spence. The idea was put forward by Floyd Mayweather in the aftermath of Spence's win over Phil Lo Greco last weekend but Thurman has little interest in facing the 25 year old as he continues to seek a fight with Mayweather himself.


When asked by boxingscene.com about Mayweather's suggestion of a bout with Spence, Thurman replied: "It was hugely disrespectful. The boy [Spence] is what? 15-0? 16-0? He hasn't fought one B class opponent. He's an Olympian, great potential, sharp kid. When I was on HBO for my first time, I called out Paulie Malignaggi, Tim Bradley and Floyd Mayweather. Paulie said I was disrespectful and said I didn't even deserve him - and I was 18-0 with 17 knock outs. If I didn't deserve Paulie, how would I even deserve Floyd?

Keith Thurman steps on the scale during the weigh in for the WBO Inter-Continental Welterweight Title on March 8, 2013 at the Barclays Center in the Brooklyn borough of New York City.
Getty Image

I made that statement because Floyd was in jail. I was hoping when he got out he would brush the dust off with this loud mouth puncher but that's not what happened. I threw a dart out there and made an attempt. I even called him the king but every king has their day. I told Floyd to see me 'One Time'. How many times will he be in the ring? One time, two times."


Mayweather is yet to announce his opponent for his next fight in Septemberand Thurman remains in the mix along with other front runnersAmir Khan, Kell Brook, Gennady Golovkin, Andre Berto and Oscar De La Hoya should he return to the sport.