Sunday, June 09, 2019

Overnight Oats

The key to perfect overnight oats is the ratio of liquid to oats; watery oats are no good, nor are super hard oats. After much trial and error, I have come up with a fool-proof ratio of oats to liquid and chia seeds to liquid, and it is as follows:
Twice as much liquid as oats
¼ cup liquid per 1 tbsp of chia seed
1 tbsp chia seed per serving



Muesli, overnight oats, no cook oats, refrigerator oats, so many names for this simple meal.



Please keep in mind that I prefer my oatmeal on the chunky and chewy side. Add a wee more liquid (like one to two tablespoons) if you like more fluid oatmeal.



I often prepare this when I need a filling breakfast, even lunch, for a meal that will keep me full for hours. Although small in volume, one serving of these oats is big in nutrients. Both chia and oats are high in fibre and protein, which are two nutrients that digest slowly. Therefore, keeping you feeling fuller for longer without all that tummy bloating business. This recipe is also extremely quick to prepare; you’ll be done making tomorrow’s breakfast or lunch in under 5 minutes! Breakfast will be waiting patiently in the fridge, all ready to go the next morning. Overnight oats are the ideal meal for those mornings when you’re stressed for time, or those on-the-go lunch hours.



Traditionally in Switzerland, this breakfast dish is flavoured with fresh and/or dried fruits, but today I will be sharing my decadent version, blurring the lines between breakfast and dessert. Because in my mind, the two are practically the same thing. Cake for breakfast? Done that so many times. No shame.



This combination of maple syrup, pecans, peanut butter, and bananas is so addicting! It’s also a rather long name, so let’s just shorten it to Maple PPBB, shall we? These flavours pair so perfectly with each other, it makes it difficult for me to even consider trying something else. Rich, spicy, sweet, and crunchy all at the same time. Yummmm~



Aw yeah, drizzle on that maple syrup. The real stuff please. None of that nasty “naturally flavoured” stuff.



Since learning about the “melted banana trick” from Chocolate Covered Katie, I’ve been using it as a natural sweetener in both my hot and cold oatmeal. Never looked back since. I refuse to prepare oatmeal if there aren’t any ripe bananas in the house.



When I was doing this photo shoot, my mom actually asked me why I didn’t pick a nicer banana to photograph. She was talking about the just-turned-yellow bananas we just got. In my eyes, a super spotty banana is most beautiful. I can physically see how sweet and delicious it’s going to be. -Drools-



A tip especially for cold oatmeal, melt the peanut butter with the banana; it makes mixing it all in a whole lot easier!



All that’s left to do is stir it up and dig in! (And get the recipe)

MAPLE PPBB OVERNIGHT OATS

Serves: 1

The perfect grab-and-go breakfast that can be prepared the night before. Naturally sweetened with ripe banana and maple syrup, and flavoured with peanut butter and crunchy pecans, this is my all-time favourite combination!

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup oats (I prefer old-fashioned, but quick cook works fine)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
A splash of vanilla
½ ripe banana, sliced
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 tsp maple syrup
A small handful of pecans, toasted*

INSTRUCTIONS
In a small bowl or jar, combine oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, almond milk, and vanilla. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight, at least 8 hours.
Before serving, microwave sliced bananas and peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl for 20 seconds, or until bananas are soft and peanut butter is melted. Add to chilled oats.
Drizzle in maple syrup and top with pecans; stir until combined. Enjoy!

NOTES
*To toasted pecans: Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350⁰F for 7 to 8 minutes until fragrant. Keep a close eye on it as pecans will turn from perfectly toasted to burnt in seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment